View of flywheel showing connection to steam engine. - Hacienda Azucarera La Concepcion, Sugar Mill Ruins, .3 Mi. W. of Junction of Rts. 418 and 111, Victoria, Agaudilla Municipio HAER PR,11-VICT,1A-4.tif

Summary[ ]

Title View of flywheel showing connection to steam engine. - Hacienda Azucarera La Concepcion, Sugar Mill Ruins, .3 Mi. W. of Junction of Rts. 418 and 111, Victoria, Agaudilla Municipio, PR
Description Quinones, Dona Eulalia; Cardona, Jose Weston; Central Coloso; Mirrlees and Tait; Johnson, Robert L, field team; Griffin, Douglas L, project manager; DeLony, Eric N, project manager; Conservation Trust of Puerto Rico, sponsor; Freeman, Belmont, delineator; del Cueto, Beatriz, delineator; Yasuda, Beverly, delineator; Williams, Joan, historian; Boucher, Jack, photographer
Depicted place Puerto Rico; Agaudilla Municipio; Victoria
Date Documentation compiled after 1968
Dimensions 5 x 7 in.
Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
Accession number HAER PR,11-VICT,1A-4
Credit line
Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) Team.jpg This file comes from the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) or Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS). These are programs of the National Park Service established for the purpose of documenting historic places. Records consist of measured drawings, archival photographs, and written reports.

This tag does not indicate the copyright status of the attached work. A normal copyright tag is still required. See Commons:Licensing for more information.

Notes
  • Significance: Hacienda La Concepcion was established on the old banks of the Culebrinas River by the family of Dona Eulalia Quinones. In 1868, her husband, Jose Nestor Cardona, installed the steam engine and mill which crushed and processed cane until 1892, after which date milling operations were transferred to central Coloso. The mill buildings at Hacienda La Concepcion have been destroyed. The machinery, however, survives in a good state of preservation, and includes a multitubular boiler, horizontal steam engine, gearing, and cane mill. Also on the site are found a condensor, defecating pans and evaporating kettles ranging from 5'-11" to 7'-6 1/2" in diameter. The mill is dated 1865 and bears the label of Mirrlees and Tait, Engineers. Glasgow.
  • Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-2
  • Survey number: HAER PR-2
  • Building/structure dates: 1865 Initial Construction
Source https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/pr0029.photos.143108p
Permission
(Reusing this file)
Public domain This image or media file contains material based on a work of a National Park Service employee, created as part of that person's official duties. As a work of the U.S. federal government, such work is in the NPS copyright policy for more information.
US-NationalParkService-ShadedLogo.svg