View looking NE at deteriorated walls of cane mill. - Hacienda Azucarera la Igualdad, Sugar Mill Ruins and Steam Engine, PR Route 332, Guanica, Guanica Municipio, PR HAER PR,35-GUAN.V,1A-24.tif

Summary[ ]

Title View looking NE at deteriorated walls of cane mill. - Hacienda Azucarera la Igualdad, Sugar Mill Ruins and Steam Engine, PR Route 332, Guanica, Guanica Municipio, PR
Description Cary, Brian, transmitter; Conservation Trust of Puerto Rico, sponsor; Institute of Mechanical Engineers of Puerto Rico, sponsor; Griffin, Douglas L, project manager; Delony, Eric, project manager; Lankton, Larry, project manager; Blanco, Francisco Javier, project manager; Boucher, Jack, photographer; Nistal-Moret, Benjamin, historian; Egbert, Charles F, D, delineator; Valle, Reinhard A, delineator; Fraga, Robert, delineator; Howard, Richard A, delineator; Sanchez-Sanchez, Hector, historian; Melendez, Javier, historian
Depicted place Puerto Rico; Guanica Municipio; Guanica
Date Documentation compiled after 1968
Dimensions 5 x 7 in.
Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
Accession number HAER PR,35-GUAN.V,1A-24
Credit line
Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) Team.jpg This file comes from the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) or Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS). These are programs of the National Park Service established for the purpose of documenting historic places. Records consist of measured drawings, archival photographs, and written reports.

This tag does not indicate the copyright status of the attached work. A normal copyright tag is still required. See Commons:Licensing for more information.

Notes
  • Significance: Still extant at the ruins of Hacienda Azucarera La Igualdad is a single column, slide-valve, side-crank beam engine of unknown manufacture that drove a three-role cane crushing mill. The plantation dates from 1840 while the cane crushing machinery dates from 1860-1870. Most of the machinery is intact as is the chimney, but of the buildings, only the ruins of foundation walls and arches remain. The steam engine is of unusual architectural design having an open, decorative, single pedestal, cast-iron column supporting a cast-iron beam. The engine has a 12 inch bore and 40 inch stroke with a 15 foot diameter cast-iron flywheel that turned at approximately 20 revolutions per minute, with individual spoke and rim castings bolted together. Connected to the crankshaft and flywheel is a single, 15 foot diameter reduction gear coupled to a three-role cane crushing mill. Virtually no historical information was found for this site during the HAER recording project.
  • Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-6
  • Survey number: HAER PR-7
  • Building/structure dates: 1840 Initial Construction
  • Building/structure dates: after 1860 Subsequent Work
Source https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/pr0031.photos.143242p
Permission
(Reusing this file)
Public domain This image or media file contains material based on a work of a National Park Service employee, created as part of that person's official duties. As a work of the U.S. federal government, such work is in the NPS copyright policy for more information.
US-NationalParkService-ShadedLogo.svg