VIEW SOUTHEAST, NORTH AND WEST FACADES - Occidental Building (Commercial Building), 41-47 West Washington Street, Indianapolis, Marion County, IN HABS IND,49-IND,37-2.tif

Summary[ ]

Title VIEW SOUTHEAST, NORTH AND WEST FACADES - Occidental Building (Commercial Building), 41-47 West Washington Street, Indianapolis, Marion County, IN
Description Rubush and Hunter; L. Strauss and Company; Klausmann, Henry W
Depicted place Indiana; Marion County; Indianapolis
Date Documentation compiled after 1933
Dimensions 4 x 5 in.
Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
Accession number HABS IND,49-IND,37-2
Credit line
Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) Team.jpg This file comes from the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) or Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS). These are programs of the National Park Service established for the purpose of documenting historic places. Records consist of measured drawings, archival photographs, and written reports.

This tag does not indicate the copyright status of the attached work. A normal copyright tag is still required. See Commons:Licensing for more information.

Notes
  • Significance: The Occidental Building is the work of one of Indianapolis' most famous and prolific architectural firms, Rubush and Hunter. Founded in 1905, the firm mastered the office and commercial building form until the firm's dissolution in 1938. The Occidental was designed in 1913 and constructed the following year. It was one of a series of skyscrapers constructed in post-Victorian downtown Indianapolis in an era of unbridled growth and construction terminated by the Great Depression. The Occidental Building is typical of the period with its Renaissance Revival detailing and terra cotta cladding. It contributed to the commercial streetscape of West Washington Street with its many commercial tenants from 1914 to 1945 and as the home of L. Strauss and Company, the city's oldest retail clothier, from 1945 until 1985.
  • Survey number: HABS IN-211
  • Building/structure dates: 1914 Initial Construction
  • Building/structure dates: 1945 Subsequent Work
Source https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/in0309.photos.065383p
Permission
(Reusing this file)
Public domain This image or media file contains material based on a work of a National Park Service employee, created as part of that person's official duties. As a work of the U.S. federal government, such work is in the NPS copyright policy for more information.
US-NationalParkService-ShadedLogo.svg
Camera location39° 46′ 05.99″ N, 86° 09′ 29.02″ W Kartographer map based on OpenStreetMap.View this and other nearby images on: OpenStreetMap - Google Earthinfo