VIEW OF EAST AND NORTH SIDES. VIEW TO SOUTHWEST - Old First Baptist Church, Fourth and Washington Streets, Nicodemus, Graham County, KS HABS KANS,33-NICO,1-K-4.tif

Summary[ ]

Title VIEW OF EAST AND NORTH SIDES. VIEW TO SOUTHWEST - Old First Baptist Church, Fourth and Washington Streets, Nicodemus, Graham County, KS
Description Alexander, Andrew; Harness and Ellis, Kansas; Hamilton, Kenneth M, field team; Parr, Ruth K, field team; Prucha, Marion L, field team; McNamara, Richard W, field team; Everett, J Keith, project manager; Tiller, deTeel Patterson, project manager; Fraser, Clayton B, photographer; Belleau, William J, photographer; Fly, La Barbara Wigfall, historian; Fly, Everett L, delineator
Depicted place Kansas; Graham County; Nicodemus
Date Documentation compiled after 1933
Dimensions 4 x 5 in.
Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
Accession number HABS KANS,33-NICO,1-K-4
Credit line
Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) Team.jpg This file comes from the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) or Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS). These are programs of the National Park Service established for the purpose of documenting historic places. Records consist of measured drawings, archival photographs, and written reports.

This tag does not indicate the copyright status of the attached work. A normal copyright tag is still required. See Commons:Licensing for more information.

Notes
  • See HABS No. KS-49 for list of structures that are contributing to the historic district and fieldnotes.
  • Significance: The first church congregation organized in 1878 on the town site; the first congregation to build a church edifice of sod blocks. One of the few sites within the village proper which illustrates the evolution of building types from dugout, sod structure, limestone structure with gable roofs and eventually stuccoed, to new brick sanctuary built in 1975. (All sanctuaries built by ex-slaves and/or local residents.) The largest and most enduring congregation existing on the town site since 1878. Congregation still utilizing the 1907 church building as a fellowship hall. Excluding the 1939 Township Hall, the 1907 church structure is the largest single building on town site.
  • Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-6
  • Survey number: HABS KS-49-K
  • Building/structure dates: 1907 Subsequent Work
  • Building/structure dates: after. 1920- before. 1929 Subsequent Work
  • Building/structure dates: ca. 1949 Subsequent Work
  • Building/structure dates: ca. 1960 Subsequent Work
  • Building/structure dates: 1880 Initial Construction
References
US-NationalParkService-ShadedLogo.svg

This is an image of a place or building that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the 76000820

Source https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/ks0128.photos.069552p
Permission
(Reusing this file)
Public domain This image or media file contains material based on a work of a National Park Service employee, created as part of that person's official duties. As a work of the U.S. federal government, such work is in the NPS copyright policy for more information.
US-NationalParkService-ShadedLogo.svg
Camera location39° 23′ 39.98″ N, 99° 37′ 00.01″ W Kartographer map based on OpenStreetMap.View this and other nearby images on: OpenStreetMap - Google Earthinfo