September 1971 GENERAL VIEW OF SOUTH (FRONT) ELEVATION FROM NORTHEAST - Captain Charles L. Shrewsbury House, 301 West First Street (High and Poplar Streets), Madison, Jefferson HABS IND,39-MAD,1-5.tif

Summary[ ]

Title September 1971 GENERAL VIEW OF SOUTH (FRONT) ELEVATION FROM NORTHEAST - Captain Charles L. Shrewsbury House, 301 West First Street (High and Poplar Streets), Madison, Jefferson County, IN
Description Shrewsbury, Charles Lewis; Costigan, Francis J; Jandoli, Liz, transmitter; RATIO Architects, Inc., consultant; Historic Madison Inc., sponsor; Ross, Benjamin L, architect; Boyce, Kenneth M, landscape architect; Kroll, David, project manager
Depicted place Indiana; Jefferson County; Madison
Date Documentation compiled after 1933
Dimensions 5 x 7 in.
Photographer
Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
Accession number HABS IND,39-MAD,1-5
Credit line
Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) Team.jpg This file comes from the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) or Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS). These are programs of the National Park Service established for the purpose of documenting historic places. Records consist of measured drawings, archival photographs, and written reports.

This tag does not indicate the copyright status of the attached work. A normal copyright tag is still required. See Commons:Licensing for more information.

Notes
  • Significance: The Shrewsbury house was designed by Madison architect Francis Costigan (1810-1865) and erected 1846-49. It is a stunning work of nineteenth century classical architecture. The structure's rectilinear outlines are refined by a one-story portico framing the garden entry, supported by a pair of fluted columns with corn stalk capitals and a boldly proportioned entablature. Articulating the low-pitched hip roof is a wide denticulated cornice and a frieze pierced by evenly spaced attic windows. The interior double parlors possess an atmosphere of delicate elegance, created by elaborate ceiling trim and Corinthian columns defining the division between the parlors, molded in an ancanthus leaf design. Captain Shrewsbury was a wealthy shipping merchant, principally involved with the Ohio River packing industry.
  • Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-8
  • Survey number: HABS IN-8
  • Building/structure dates: 1846-1849 Initial Construction
References
US-NationalParkService-ShadedLogo.svg

This is an image of a place or building that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the 94001190

Source https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/in0131.photos.064656p
Permission
(Reusing this file)
Public domain This image or media file contains material based on a work of a National Park Service employee, created as part of that person's official duties. As a work of the U.S. federal government, such work is in the NPS copyright policy for more information.
US-NationalParkService-ShadedLogo.svg