Interior view, 1928-29-1946 buildings, first floor, plaster ceiling and column capital detail - L. S. Ayres and Company Department Store, 1 West Washington Street, Indianapolis, HABS IND,49-IND,45-38.tif

Summary[ ]

Title Interior view, 1928-29-1946 buildings, first floor, plaster ceiling and column capital detail - L. S. Ayres and Company Department Store, 1 West Washington Street, Indianapolis, Marion County, IN
Depicted place Indiana; Marion County; Indianapolis
Date Documentation compiled after 1933
Dimensions 4 x 5 in.
Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
Accession number HABS IND,49-IND,45-38
Credit line
Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) Team.jpg This file comes from the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) or Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS). These are programs of the National Park Service established for the purpose of documenting historic places. Records consist of measured drawings, archival photographs, and written reports.

This tag does not indicate the copyright status of the attached work. A normal copyright tag is still required. See Commons:Licensing for more information.

Notes
  • Significance: The L.S. Ayres and Company Department Store is locally significant in the areas of architecture and commerce. The original 1905 portion of the department store, located at the corner of Washington and Meridian Streets, was the work of one of Indianapolis' most famous architectural firms, Vonnegut and Bohn. When opened, the original building was the first "modern" department store built in the city. It was eight stories high, with six modern elevators, 250 feet of show windows, soda fountain and Tea Room - plus a startling concept locally, the Economy Basement. For nearly eighty years, the Ayres department store, was one of the leading retail dry goods operations in Indiana. Additions constructed in 1914 and 1928-29 were designed by the firm of Vonnegut, Bohn and Mueller. The final addition, built in 1946, was the work of the nationally recognized firm of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill of Chicago. The construction was under the personal supervision of Nathaniel Owings, a former Indianapolis resident. From its founding, the department store has been "first in Indiana": in 1872, city water, in 1876, illuminating gas. A telephone was installed in 1877, and in 1880, electric lights. The year 1890 saw the first elevator and 1928, the first air conditioning in an Indianapolis department store. Escalators came in 1937, with access to all selling floors by 1954. The new and now familiar credit card service, the Carga-Plate was introduced in 1937.
  • Survey number: HABS IN-253
Source https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/in0365.photos.379500p
Permission
(Reusing this file)
Public domain This image or media file contains material based on a work of a National Park Service employee, created as part of that person's official duties. As a work of the U.S. federal government, such work is in the NPS copyright policy for more information.
US-NationalParkService-ShadedLogo.svg
Object location39° 46′ 05.99″ N, 86° 09′ 29.02″ W Kartographer map based on OpenStreetMap.View this and other nearby images on: OpenStreetMap - Google Earthinfo
The geographical information of this file was retrospectively estimated.
Chances are that this location is very imprecise.
Verifying and refining these coordinates is strongly encouraged.