HISTORIC AMERICAN BUILDINGS SURVEY WILSON B. PARKER, PHOTOGRAPHER, March, 1934 SOUTHWEST VIEW - Second Presbyterian Church, 500 West Street, Madison, Jefferson County, IN HABS IND,39-MAD,3-2.tif

Summary[ ]

Title HISTORIC AMERICAN BUILDINGS SURVEY WILSON B. PARKER, PHOTOGRAPHER, March, 1934 SOUTHWEST VIEW - Second Presbyterian Church, 500 West Street, Madison, Jefferson County, IN
Description Jandoli, Liz, transmitter
Depicted place Indiana; Jefferson County; Madison
Date Documentation compiled after 1933
Dimensions 4 x 5 in.
Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
Accession number HABS IND,39-MAD,3-2
Credit line
Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) Team.jpg This file comes from the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) or Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS). These are programs of the National Park Service established for the purpose of documenting historic places. Records consist of measured drawings, archival photographs, and written reports.

This tag does not indicate the copyright status of the attached work. A normal copyright tag is still required. See Commons:Licensing for more information.

Notes
  • Significance: This old building is one of the oldest in southern Indiana, and is still well preserved. The Church was organized August 15, 1833, with J.D. Lanier as the first Treasurer. On Nov. 14 of that year, a lot was purchased for $650.00 and on Dec. 24, 1833, plans for a church prepared by Edwin J. Peck, were adopted. On April 27, 1835, the bell was ordered and on November 22, 1835 the dedication took place. Rev. Lyman Beecher preached the sermon. ... Extreme simplicity marks the exterior and interior; the former has excellent columns and classic cornice; the interior with a paneled ceiling and plain cornice. The audience room has plain clear glass windows, with inside blinds. Exterior walls are of brick, covered with stucco.
  • Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-15
  • Survey number: HABS IN-24-15
  • Building/structure dates: ca. 1834 Initial Construction
Source https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/in0161.photos.064729p
Permission
(Reusing this file)
Public domain This image or media file contains material based on a work of a National Park Service employee, created as part of that person's official duties. As a work of the U.S. federal government, such work is in the NPS copyright policy for more information.
US-NationalParkService-ShadedLogo.svg