EXTERIOR VIEW OF WEST ELEVATION - Constitution Hall, 315 Elmore Street, Lecompton, Douglas County, KS HABS KANS,23-LECOM,1-3.tif

Summary[ ]

Title EXTERIOR VIEW OF WEST ELEVATION - Constitution Hall, 315 Elmore Street, Lecompton, Douglas County, KS
Description Kansas State Historical Society; Jones, Samuel; Worrall, Henry; Newton, Barry, faculty sponsor; Brunner, Kurt A, field team; Watts, Dale, field team; University of Kansas, School of Architecture and Urban Design, sponsor; Kansas State Historical Society, sponsor; Cary, Brian, transmitter; Haase-Divine, David W, delineator; Harrington, Steven W, delineator; Schmitz, Edward T, delineator; Winslow, Keri J, delineator; Zabilka, Eric J, photographer; Zabilka, Eric J, delineator
Depicted place Kansas; Douglas County; Lecompton
Date Documentation compiled after 1933
Dimensions 4 x 5 in.
Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
Accession number HABS KANS,23-LECOM,1-3
Credit line
Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) Team.jpg This file comes from the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) or Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS). These are programs of the National Park Service established for the purpose of documenting historic places. Records consist of measured drawings, archival photographs, and written reports.

This tag does not indicate the copyright status of the attached work. A normal copyright tag is still required. See Commons:Licensing for more information.

Notes
  • 1993 Charles E. Peterson Prize, First Place
  • Significance: Constitution Hall was built in 1856, probably by Samuel Jones, sheriff of Douglas County and a notorious proslavery champion. It was a commercial venture designed to house a variety of governmental functions in the newly established capital of the Kansas Territory, Lecompton. A federal land office occupied most of the ground floor. The meeting room upstairs hosted the organizational convention of the Territorial National Democratic Party, a session of the proslavery territorial assembly, both sessions of the Lecompton Constitutional Convention, several sessions of the district and supreme courts, and the first session of the territorial assembly after it came under the control of the antislavery forces. In subsequent years, the building served many functions, from college dormitory to public meeting hall and lodge hall for fraternal organizations. Soon after completion of the original 25' x 34' building, a two story addition was added to the rear, possibly in 1856, extending the building to 25' x 50'. Historical photographs indicate that the building has undergone minor changes through the years; several different entry porches were constructed, exterior stairs to the second floor were added and later removed, a window above the entry door on the east face was removed, and all the windows were replaced around 1906. Constitution Hall became a National Historic Landmark in 1975, and is currently undergoing restoration by the Kansas State Historical Society. During 1991, a major stabilization program was begun. Chimneys and interior finishes were removed to expose the framing. The building was lifted 18" to allow repair of the foundation, sills, floor framing, and first floor studs.
  • Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N117
  • Survey number: HABS KS-64
  • Building/structure dates: 1856 Initial Construction
  • Building/structure dates: ca. 1856 Subsequent Work
  • Building/structure dates: 1991 Subsequent Work
  • Building/structure dates: ca. 1906 Subsequent Work
References
US-NationalParkService-ShadedLogo.svg
This is an image of a place or building that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the 71000312
Source https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/ks0151.photos.043184p
Permission
(Reusing this file)
Public domain This image or media file contains material based on a work of a National Park Service employee, created as part of that person's official duties. As a work of the U.S. federal government, such work is in the NPS copyright policy for more information.
US-NationalParkService-ShadedLogo.svg
Object location39° 02′ 39.98″ N, 95° 23′ 39.98″ W Kartographer map based on OpenStreetMap.View this and other nearby images on: OpenStreetMap - Google Earthinfo