Boats entered and left the
Bugsworth complex, Buxworth, Derbyshire via this entrance basin The Wharfinger's (or Canal House) on the right was built in or about 1797 as a house and office for German Wheatcroft, the first Wharfinger (or Basin Manager) at Bugsworth. An adjacent building was built as a stable for his horse. A loaded barge was not allowed out through the Gauging Stop Place outside the office until it had been assessed or 'gauged'. This was necessary to measure the weight and hence the value of the boat's cargo. This in turn determined the tolls paid by the boat on the canal. The displacement of the boat was measured at four known points and an average reading taken. This reading together with details of the cargo, distance to be travelled and the gauge plate number was compared with special tables in the office. A permit was then issued and the boat could leave. :The above text adapted from an interpretation board at the site.